Sunday, March 11, 2012

Wanderlust : Greek edition.


While at work the other day, I was uploading photos from my blackberry (all 1809 them)
So- do you ever get kinda... that travel itch? where you cannot think of anywhere else, but dropping everything- taking off and GETTING THE F away from winter!!

There i am!

Many moons ago I had the great fortune of touring a place I considered to be my version of heaven- even though this trip was my very first to Greece. I would grab any books or images I ever saw of Greece and stare at them endlessly, feeling some kind of connection to the land.
 
during my time in here, it just so happened that it was during the "fires & flood " in 2009, and this snapshot I took the morning after this crazy flash flood. This clay pot was just kinda.... half buried in the sand washed up on shore. The Disney character in me thought this magical pot had some gift from a Greek god in in, but alas... These pots was as normal as normal can be. ...... sigh.
your staring at Mt. Olympus.

Alonissos is beautiful. STUNNING. this is Eden- I'm not even kidding. truly a hidden gem of the Ionian isles. This is my spot from Nicks Taverna..


  
 Vonti Bay -- like.. is this real?! 

 Chrisi Milla beach
One of the main reasons for a trip, a family wedding. I was lucky to be a part of it. . The air was magical as the soot and smoke still hung lazily in the sky , softening the sunsets to make them like watercolour paintings.  Soot fell from the sky like snowflakes- like some bizarre confetti celebrating the nuptials.



 the property the couple got married on was the brides Aunts... her husband in boats. . . apparently he sells boats made of gold. This house was a stunner, pretty much my dream home. This beautiful blend of indoor and outdoor living in this rustic home and iron details was sooooooooooo pretty. So many plants in pots... and an infinity pool?! Whoa mama. I didn't want to leave. 
Some of the women got together and made the brides arrangements and decor the day before, as I was a date at this wedding and totally not blood family, I was honoured to be asked to join. Also maybe the bride mentioned I make pretty things, and as a modern woman with good taste, I can see how she wanted a bit of youth.. Needless to say poofy, fresh hydrangea and native flora in pinks, purple and green 
My humble camera and I had endless opportunity for incredible pictures. This is the Temple of Posidon.. built on  a cliff to align the light so as the sun sets, you can see it from the temple interior. 
Vistors who come to take in the sheer beauty that is Posiden's view- take a seat somewhere and hush as the sun sets...
 Sunset is over.... Souvlaki time!
Port of Patiri
me, sunset & mount olympius in the backround. Halkidiki
You can see more photos on my Pinterest board


1 comment:

  1. Love this post Lindz! :) great pics! It's been a while! ~Emilie

    ReplyDelete